Thursday, January 15, 2015

50 States Against Bullying: NEBRASKA

For my twenty-ninth stop, the 50 States Against Bullying campaign brought me to Nebraska. It was my first time in the Cornhusker State, and while I didn't see any corn husking going on, I did see a whole lot of of bronze pioneer sculptures.



Upon my arrival, I found a really cool indie movie theater (and may have eaten popcorn and Milk Duds there for 148 minutes). The next morning, this was my view of Omaha.


I drove out to Bennington High School, and it was easy to tell I was in the right place.


At the beginning of my two presentations, I was gracefully introduced by...Grace!


First I spoke to the neighboring junior high students. During the Q&A, I was asked a question I'd never been asked before, which concerned Will Smith. And that randomness is why I love Q&A!


Then I spoke to the high school students, but none of them thought to ask about Will Smith.


During both presentations, I told the students that flyers were currently being taped to their lockers. When they left the auditorium, they were encouraged to leave positive messages for other students about why those students matter.


I was happy to see people quickly jump at the opportunity.


In the library, the Christmas tree was decorated with #ReasonsWhyYouMatter cards, which actually make for beautiful ornaments. (Well, maybe not beautiful. But meaningful!)


For lunch, I ate Chipotle with sixteen Bennington students. During lunch, I made a phone call to one student's friend at a nearby school who loves Thirteen Reasons Why. While I crunched yummy chips in his ear, he chewed on a corndog.


But our lunch was interrupted by...a fire drill!


Which meant...fire drill selfie!!!



2 comments:

Cassidy said...

Thank you so much for coming to Bennington today. One of my best friends came up to you today and asked you to read her novel that she is writing. I want to thank you so much for taking the time to read it and give her feedback. When I saw her at lunch she was so happy I thought she was going to explode. It meant so much to her. She has always wanted to be a writer and she can never find the confidence to continue with her ideas, you talking to her I think will give her the confidence to finish this book. I think you made her year.
As for what your book has done for me. I liked the idea in your book where students leave positive notes in others bags. Putting the posters on our lockers is a great idea. So many people who I rarely see talking to each other are leaving notes on peoples lockers. I have even gotten notes from people I use to be really good friends. Every time I look at the #ReasonsWhyYouMatter bracelet it reminds me to go the extra mile to help people out who are struggling. No matter what other people say please keep writing books like this. You have helped me, my friends, and many other people. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to Bennington. It was actually really cool to hear you talk about things and stuff. After your presentation, I found positive things written on some desks in some of my classes, such as "you're amazing" and "whatever it is, you'll get through it," which was kinda cool.